With Halloween fast approaching, now is the time to start getting your pets prepared to deal with the additional havoc the holiday brings. We've curated some frightfully tasty CBD recipes so fidos and felines can rest easy during the chaos of Halloween. (Plus some extra special recipes you'll want to keep all to yourself.)
For pets, Halloween can really be more of a trick than a treat if we’re not careful. Suddenly the world is filled with strange sounds and strange sights, and it can be a little much for our furry pals. But Halloween doesn't have to leave anyone’s fur standing on end.
There are plenty of reasons to give your pet hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD). CBD can help your dog by:
- Easing anxiety
- Alleviating pain
- Quelling gastrointestinal distress
- Reducing seizures
First things first and something always worth repeating: keep the candy away. Most pet people know chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, but did you know that the sweetener xylitol can be, too? Same for raisins, macadamia nuts, and salty snacks. So always stash the goods where eager noses can’t reach.
When you make your own CBD-infused dog treats, you get to control the amount of CBD that goes into each batch. This allows you to cater your CBD dog treats specifically to your pup’s needs. And as an added bonus, you get to:
- Pick your pet’s favorite flavors
- Avoid ingredients that don’t sit well with their bellies
- Maybe even save a few bucks
But let's not forget about us grown-ups! Here's a couple of tricks to make Halloween less scary for you and your pets this season!
Sweet Treats & CBD
When Halloween rolls around, many of us decorate our homes. It's important to note which decorations are pet friendly. Pumpkins and corn aren’t poisonous, but those cobs can cause scary blockages. Moldy pumpkins have been notorious for causing upset stomachs, keep them out of main areas so your pets won't get into them.
Making the most of the holidays means indulging in all the delicious flavors of the season, and this year, that includes CBD. High quality, pure CBD oil adds a delicate earthiness to the sweet and savory treats of fall. Add a few drops of your favorite CBD oil tincture to almost any hot or cold drink and sweet or savory treats: including your pets! You heard us right… You can micro manage and dose your pet’s treats at home allowing you to make 250 treats at 4mg each with our pet tincture. Perfect for when your pooch gets anxious when those trick-or-treaters come knocking.
For Your Pets
Since pumpkin-everything is in full force during Halloween, these no-bake treats are a no brainer, especially for dogs with inflammatory conditions. Both CBD and turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties, and the crack of black pepper helps your dog absorb the goodness of turmeric.
No-Bake Pumpkin and Turmeric CBD Dog Treats
- 2 cups pumpkin puree*
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tsp. turmeric
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- CBD 1000mg Pet Tincture
- Start by mixing the pumpkin, honey, turmeric, coconut oil, and black pepper in a bowl until it’s all mixed together well.
- Add the rolled oats. You might want to add more or less oats to make it the right consistency. It should feel like a cookie dough consistency.
- Put parchment paper on a small baking sheet.
- Break off equal pieces of cookie dough and roll them into balls.
Now it’s time to add the CBD oil. The amount of oil you add depends on how much your dogs need. Assuming your dogs need one drop of CBD oil a day, add one drop to each treat and give them one treat a day. If you’re unsure which dosage to use, see our CBD oil for dogs dosage chart here.
- Place the balls in the fridge so that they can harden. This should take 15 minutes.
- They can be refrigerated for about two weeks.
Sweet Potato CBD Treats
Sweet potatoes provide dogs with vital nutrients, fiber, and vitamins in this easy baked CBD dog treat recipe, while the coconut oil promotes healthy skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut oil (or you can use bacon grease)
- 1 egg
- A few drops of Pet CBD Oil Tincture
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Mash the sweet potatoes and mix with remaining ingredients until well combined
- Add a few drops of CBD Pet Tincture. Read dosing chart here.
- Add extra coconut flour if needed to achieve a doughy consistency
- Shape mixture into one-inch-diameter balls and then flatten the balls with a spoon or by hand
- Space flattened balls evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake 18-20 minutes
- Remove and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container in the fridge
CBD Goodies for You
Finding different ways to ring in the Halloween season is never a bad idea. Thinking about having/going to a Halloween Party? Or just want to relax and enjoy the festivities from the comfort of your home with your pet by your side? What better way to make things extra spooky than by offering some specifically adult treats. No tricks just CBD-infused treats.
These recipes are perfect since they double up for those of you that prefer something alcoholic or "boos-free".
Jack-O-Lantern and Ginger
Add an autumn twist to the classic blend of Jack-and-ginger by blending in a little hard cider. ‘Tis the season for this tasty blend, Halloween or not.
What You’ll Need:
- Two ounces hard cider
- One ounce whiskey
- One Can Sparkling Ginger Ale
- A few drops of CBD Oil Tincture of choice
- Crushed ice
How It’s Made:
Using a high-ball glass or a tall tumbler, blend the hard cider and whiskey together well. Fill the glass with your crushed ice. Slowly pour a can of Ginger Ale to fill. Stir in a few drops of your favorite CBD. Simply double the recipe to enjoy with a partner.
Vampire Kiss Martini
This delicious CBD drink is Dracula-approved, with a sharp flavor that’s too tempting to resist. Other options pale in comparison.
What You'll Need:
- Six ounces vodka
- Two ounces raspberry liqueur (Chambord, divided)
- Four to six ounces Sparkling Black Cherry Soda
- Red sugar (optional)
- A few drops of CBD Oil Tincture of choice
How It's Made:
While this concoction is much more complex than others we’ve described, those who aren’t scared off easily will attest that the taste is worth the trouble. To start, rim two tall cocktail glasses with red sugar. Measure one ounce of raspberry liqueur (saving the remaining half for later). Divide the vodka and ounce of raspberry liqueur between both glasses, blending them well. Top with your desired amount of Black Cherry CBD soda. Add your CBD tincture drops.
Finally, add that last ounce of Chambord liqueur by pouring it over the back of a spoon – making it float on the surface of each craft CBD cocktail. Enjoy!
While Halloween is a fast-paced, fun holiday, please keep a close watch on your dog this Halloween to reduce any chance of distress, so that he and the rest of the family can enjoy the celebrations without any mishaps.
We hope you try out some of our ideas to welcome in the season with us! If you do, be sure to tag us on Instagram and let us know what you think!
If you have any questions on our CBD products, be sure to reach out to us here today. Our staff would love to hear from you. Enjoy the season to the max, cheers!