From a consumer’s perspective, potency is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a CBD product. Here’s how to make sure you’re getting the highest quality CBD on the market, and better bang for your buck!
Deciding to use CBD oil as a natural therapy is one thing, but figuring out which brand to use, what CBD oil concentration to use, and how much CBD to take is another thing altogether. With all of the different products and brands out there to choose from, it can be a hard process trying to determine what is best for you.
So how do you choose the right strength CBD product? Depending on what your needs are for using CBD, Lost Range might be the best choice for you. Our products are 20-30% lower in price compared to other potency comparables on the market—which makes for the perfect concentration to use in order to give you the best results for your money.
Despite millions of Americans using CBD every day (33% of American adults have used CBD once or more according to SingleCare, 2020) many are left confused when it comes to concentration, dosing, and more importantly, why it matters. Before we begin, let’s get into the types of CBD and their best uses.
Varieties of CBD
There are different forms of CBD products. In a CBD “isolate”, the only active ingredient is CBD. Full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD oils are also available, and these contain additional compounds.
- CBD isolate: Isolate CBD is the purest form of CBD available, testing around 99.99% CBD and can be found in both crystalline and powdered crystal form.
- Full-spectrum CBD: Full Spectrum Oil is an oil rich in CBD but also contains low levels of other cannabinoids such as CBG, CBN, CBC and THC. Full Spectrum Oil usually tests at around 75%-90% CBD and must test at less than .3% THC.
- Broad-spectrum CBD: These products contain a wide range of cannabinoids, but do not contain THC.
CBD Isolate is Best for…
- People with sensitivity to THC and other cannabinoids.
- People living in states with strict THC laws, or those who regularly undergo drug testing in their place of employment.
- People who wish to cook with CBD and want something with a light flavor.
Full-Spectrum CBD is Best for…
- People who are looking to target a more specific use
- People who live in states where cannabis is fully legal and who have no fear of legal repercussions.
- People who want to get the most out of their CBD experience.
- While full-spectrum products are suited to some individuals, others will find an isolate more to their liking. It’s a matter of deciding what works for you.
Potencies of CBD Oil
In short, the higher the milligrams of CBD in the product, the more potent and the greater the concentration of CBD it contains. CBD hemp oil potencies can range anywhere from 100mg to upwards of 4,000+mg for a single 30 mL (1 oz) bottle, which is the industry standard size. A 300mg bottle would be classified as a low-potency option and a 4,000mg bottle the highest.
Science taught us that everybody’s biochemistry is different, not everyone will react the same or get the same therapeutic effects from CBD oil or other CBD products. That’s why many CBD advocates recommend starting with a lower potency product to start with – until you gauge how your body reacts to the CBD – and work your way up. But if you are an intermediate CBD user or have more extreme ailments such as chronic pain or severe anxiety, you can start at a higher dose.
At Lost Range, our products are high-potency, and a little goes a long way! Many people at first glance assume they should take the full 1ml dropper, but you could be wasting precious medicine. Use your product frugally, and if you’re questioning just how frugal, contact us, and we would love to go more in-depth about our product! Before starting your Lost Range CBD journey, be sure to check our dosage chart…
It’s equally as important to look at the bottle size that the CBD oil comes in when calculating its potency. If you are looking for the strongest CBD oil you can find, bear in mind that the bottle’s size needs to be taken into account. The good news is that many leading CBD brands, such as Lost Range, list the milligram of CBD per serving on their packaging, as well as on the product pages of their respective websites.
While the label may tell you the percentage of the CBD in your oil, that isn’t strength. This reflects more the purity of the CBD in the product. You need to know how much CBD, in milligrams, is in the bottle, so you can divide that by the amount you take to see how much CBD is in your dose. Some companies have a lower milligram percentage that they offer. Lost Range offers only upper end potency and quality, that’s why our lowest milligram percentage starts out at 1,000 and goes up from there. Here are a couple products we recommend based on their potency levels.
- Lower Potency Oil Tincture – Our 1,000mg Isolate CBD Oil Tincture is a great option for individuals who are just starting out or who may be sensitive to CBD (and/or cannabis in general). Some people have a more active endocannabinoid system than do others, so they will naturally not require as strong of an oil.
- Mid Potency Oil – Our 2000mg Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture is for those who find they’re having to take large (and/or multiple) doses of a lower potency CBD oil. In general, a lot of our customers use our mid-range potency products to help regulate inflammation, recovery, sleep, appetite, anxiety and day-to-day pain.
- High Potency Oil – Our highest potency 4000mg Gold Buckle is the most potent on the market. Products in this strength range are commonly used for severe pain such as chronic arthritis, insomnia, deep muscle soreness, migraines, and day-to-day extreme stress and anxiety.
Finally, whatever the label says, quality matters most. This is because quality can affect CBD oil potency.
There are several things to keep in mind when shopping for a CBD oil’s quality. The soil the hemp is grown in, the way it’s processed, the ingredients used, and so on – it all matters.
Contaminated and poor-quality products can be sprayed with pesticides which won’t give you as much bang for your buck when it comes to how well your body can actually use the CBD. To ensure you’re buying a quality product, make sure the company displays these key marks:
- 100% field-grown hemp extract
- Enhanced bioavailability
- Sustainably farmed
- Allergen Free
- Hemp sourced in the USA, preferably Colorado.
Always look for third-party testing results that indicate the formula is clear of contaminants and contains appropriate CBD and THC levels.
There’s certainly no shortage of CBD products on the market, which is why it’s important to know that not all of them are created equal. While an over-abundance of available products may have you reaching for the cheapest CBD brand, what differs is the types of products and the strength of their formulations.
At Lost Range, we use only the best CBD in our small batch products — helping our customers experience and enjoy all the benefits that CBD has to offer. We strongly believe in the powerful healing potential of our hand-made CBD products, and bear witness with remarkable reviews from our loyal customers. Our mission is to make CBD tinctures, salves, and rubs accessible to all people.